Sunday, September 6, 2026

Movie Thoughts: Space Jam: A New Legacy (2021)

  • Released: July 12th, 2021 
  • Directed by: Malcolm D. Lee
  • Running time: 1h 55min
  • Rating 1.5/5

Synopsis

The Looney Tunes team up with LeBron James for a basketball game against an evil AI, in order to win LeBron's son's freedom. 

My Thoughts

I watched the first one. Might as well watch the sequel. And yeah...honestly it's worse, sorry to say. The first movie wasn't perfect, but it at least had a few likable characters and didn't feel like it was tooting its own horn to much.

This movie? It's basically just a giant Warner Bros. ad. I don't care about being an advertisement, just be a movie dammit? But this just genuinely felt like it wasn't even trying. 

Sure the animation is okay and all, but that's kinda the most credit I can give it. Even LeBron's conflict with his son I couldn't really get into the way I could with Michael Jordan's conflict in the first movie.

And yeah, the Looney Tunes are somehow even less funny here than in the first film. I'll give them credit that Lola Bunny has more personality here than in the first (where she just felt like the token girl), but that's kinda the most I can give these characters. I just don't find the Looney Tunes funny. At least not in any of the media about them I've watched so far yet. 

Shitty movie, like I said I feel this hardly even qualifies as a movie and more as an ad. It's not even a semi-fun crossover like that recent Chip 'n Dale movie was. This is just cringe and Warner Bros. tooting its own horn too much.




No comments:

Post a Comment