- Released: March 8th, 1996
- Directed by: David R. Ellis
- Running time: 1h 28min
- Rating 3.5/5
Synopsis
After the trio finds themselves lost in the big city, they try to get home. But Chance starts to think that maybe being a wild dog is more for him. Will he consider going home again?My Thoughts
I'd say that this is a good sequel to the first movie. A worthy followup. While I do like the setting of this movie less than that of the first (I love nature and I hate big cities), it was still an enjoyable film.
Our lead characters are still interesting and I especially enjoyed seeing Chance's arc here. He falls in love with a wild dog named Delilah and starts to enjoy life on the street, which means he might not even go home with Shadow and Sassy to his owner. But his arc makes sense, as he does feel a bit unloved and unappreciated by his boy.
I think that Chance's romance with Delilah was also rather cute and well-written. I'm normally not that much into romance, but they had good chemistry and you do feel for both him and Delilah and their situations. Delilah has no love for humans and loves Chance, Chance is a (former) pet who does still like humans, but also realizes that maybe life on the streets has its appeal. It's a compelling conflict. Yes, of course the resolution is all nice and wrapped up neatly with a bow, but I did think that the romance + conflict combo was engaging.
One thing that does confuse me, though, is that they recast the dog actor playing Chance. And sure, maybe they couldn't get the dog from the first movie...but at least recast him as the correct breed? He's supposed to be a bulldog, even this movie refers to him as such. But they recast him as a pit bull terrier? Such a confusing choice. Even if they couldn't get the same bulldog, at least get a different dog of the same breed that looks alike. Shouldn't be that hard.
But overall this was an engaging sequel with a neat conflict, some good character writing, and some exciting action scenes.


No comments:
Post a Comment