- Released: September 6th, 2025
- Directed by: Curry Baker
- Running time: 1h 48min
- Rating 4.5/5
Synopsis
A socially awkward young man makes a wish that his crush would love him more than anyone else in the world. This wish comes true in the worst of ways.My Thoughts
I didn't watch any trailers or anything going into this one. Everyone around me started talking about how good it is, so I just decided to watch it blindly and man, I'm glad I did. Because this film is fantastic.
First of all, it succeeds at what quite a few horror/thriller films I've seen usually fail at: Truly being scary. I'm not that easily scared by a movie, but this movie is utterly terrifying. And I like how they don't often rely on cheap tricks like jump-scares, but instead of clever editing tricks, lightning, music, building atmosphere and momentum, character writing, stuff like that.
The main character in this is kinda insufferable, but in a good way. He does make for a good protagonist, though, even if you don't agree with the choices he makes and how selfish he is. His actions make perfect sense and he's a well-written character, even if not very sympathetic.
Nikki also made for a character you just kinda feel bad for? Yes, she's the antagonist, but the Nikki we see for most of the movie is not the real Nikki, but a wish-altered version of herself. So (the real) Nikki can't really consent and isn't really guilty of doing all these things. What's even more terrifying is that sometimes brief glimpses of the real Nikki shine through, but usually we're dealing with wish-Nikki who becomes increasingly unhinged as the movie goes on.
I also like how the movie can be quite subtle in a lot of ways and doesn't always (instantly) spoon-feed things to the audience. It makes you think.
There's also a great buildup in this film. What starts out very tame and normal becomes increasingly more unhinged as the story goes on, up until the climax and ending where shit really hits the fan and it just becomes crazy in the best ways.
I can't recommend this movie enough. Yes, it's dark and scary (as horror should be), but man it's so good. And I'm not even really a horror fan, but I do think that this is a must-watch.


No comments:
Post a Comment