Thursday, August 27, 2026

Movie Thoughts: Ron's Gone Wrong (2021)



  • Released: June 16th, 2021
  • Directed by: Octavio E. Rodriguez, Sarah Smith, Jean-Philippe Vine
  • Running time: 1h 47min
  • Rating 3/5

Synopsis

A boy named Barney befriends a faulty robot named Ron. Ron's malfunctions are seen as bad publicity by the company who made him. Now Barney and Ron embark on a journey to keep Ron the way he is, learning about true friendship along the way.

My Thoughts

Man, weird to think that this came out just before the huge rise of GenAI. And yeah, I wouldn't call it very good. But I do appreciate a good anti-AI message. 

I do like the characters of Barney and Ron and even the side characters aren't that bad, but I don't know, nothing about this movie really grabbed me. It didn't make me laugh, it didn't make me feel much, I wasn't particularly attached to anyone, the story was okay but nothing groundbreaking. I overall think that this is a pretty run-of-the-mill animated movie.

I do like the animation, and it is nice that it does have a more unique style going on for it rather than the standard bland Disney-ish look. But that's kinda everything of note about this movie.

I guess I was just hoping for more, I dunno.







1 comment:

  1. This film is in my top ten favourites of all time. I reject the notion that it has an anti-AI message. You can’t watch Ratatouille and tell me the theme of the film was pest control. It’s been a few months since I saw it, but I remember the problem being social media and society, which are what it stands against. Society makes children addicted to their social media bots, because something is wrong with you if you don’t have one.

    By claiming it is anti-AI, you strip away the unique nuance that makes this film a delight. The film portrays the human connections as still important, but technology is not the problem: society’s expectations are. This film is not anti-AI no matter how you view it, unless it’s viewed through biased expectations. I can’t even argue it to be neutral. It is, thoroughly, a pro-AI film.

    Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

    ReplyDelete