Saturday, April 10, 2021

Movie Thoughts: The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride (1998)

  • Released: October 26 1998
  • Directed by: Darell Rooney, Rob LaDuca
  • Running time: 1 h 22 min
  • Rating 3/5

Synopsis

The daughter of Simba and Nala must learn the meaning of "we are one" in order to solve the conflict between the Pridelands and the Outlands lion pride.

My Thoughts


Did TLK 1 ½ earlier. Why not do this one as well now that I’ve finally got the DVD back?

The characters are all right. Kiara is a decent lead, though it’s kinda annoying that she keeps getting into trouble no matter what she does. Kovu has the most character development, it seems, as he goes from hating Simba and wanting to follow Zira’s plans to seeing that she’s wrong and respecting the Pridelanders. I also quite liked Vitani, one of the Outlander lionesses, in this. She had a really cool design, too.

Zira is a really good villain. She has a very clear motivation and threatening presence. She used to be one of my favorite villains when I first watched this movie, and still kinda is. She was at the very least one of the first female villains I was confronted with in animated movies, so that was nice. I also love Zira’s design and color palette. Gotta love shades of brown.

The animation and use of color, like mentioned in my Lion King 1 ½ review, weren’t as good. The colors feel somewhat much at times, and not as aesthetically pleasing as movie 1 or even movie 3 (1 ½) for that matter. The animation wasn’t as good, either. Simba and Nala didn’t look a lot like their first-movie counterparts, as their models and color palettes look somewhat different from the original. I know different people worked on the first movie and the sequel, but a different team also worked on 1 ½, where Simba and Nala look much more like their original designs, so that’s really no excuse.

The comic relief was kinda annoying in here. Timon and Pumbaa broke up the more dramatic tone of the original pretty well with their jokes at times, but over here they just kinda do things or make jokes/references that aren’t even that funny, and just feel really out of place, even during some of the more serious scenes. They weren’t as obnoxious as in 1 ½, but still pretty annoying.


Finally, the songs. I know I usually am not much of a song person, especially in the Disney sequels…but I honestly like some of these songs. "My Lullaby" and "No Longer One Of Us genuinely" slap if you ask me. I think I may be slightly biased since I loved these songs when I was young but…come on, they’re really not as bad if you compare them to some of the other Disney sequel songs. Sorry if I don’t really go too in depth here, I’m typing this while being lazy in my bed. It’s kinda late and I’ve got 5 very busy weeks to look forward to.

I do like this movie still, even if visually it could be better. But for what it is, I appreciate it. Zira’s a cool villain, we’ve got some good character development, Kiara and Kovu aren’t bad main characters. It’s not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment