Friday, April 16, 2021

Movie Thoughts: Alpha and Omega 7: The Big Fureeze (2016)

  • Released: November 8 2016
  • Directed by: Tim Maltby, Brian Primental
  • Running time: 47 min
  • Rating 1/5

Synopsis

The pups set out to rescue their parents in the coldest winter Jasper has ever seen.

My Thoughts


Oh my gods it’s been ages since I did a Movie Thoughts and I’m sorry. I’ve been stuck in Dark Crystal hell (dgmw, I enjoy it a lot there) and it has kinda de-railed my blog. Not sure what to do, maybe I should make a separate blog to keep my Movie Thoughts on? Or make a separate Dark Crystal blog instead (since this is my main)?

Anyways, it’s time to continue the suffering that is my Alpha and Omega movie reviews. After this one there’s just one left for me to get through and I’ll be free. Pray for me.

Story-wise this is again one of the weakest movies I’ve seen this year, but, honestly, when comparing it to the latest A&O movie, this one feels like it has a decent plot. Dino Digs was so absurdly nonsensical and paper-thin that it is making me compliment this installment, holy shit. Still, it’s not much for standard movies. But it’s at least more than we got in movies Five and Six. We also get less needless padding and a little more actual plot in this one.

The animation is shitty still, but also slightly better than before. This one definitely felt like it was cutting less corners than the fifth and sixth ones. Still trash, don’t get me wrong, but relatively better trash.

The other visuals are…eh. Still very bad. Honestly, nearly all scenes that take place in the snow during daytime or in a cave look like they share the exact same color scheme and sets. Just very lazy. The environments still don’t look any more polished-up than before, either.

The voice acting was okay. Still nothing stellar, and Brent’s voice still doesn’t fit in the slightest, but other than that it wasn’t the worst.

We got slightly better pacing in this one. Like mentioned before, more time is dedicated to the main plot of finding and saving Kate and Humphrey. There’s still random pointless bits throughout (like Eve suddenly being dead set on eating Marcel and Paddy), but it’s kept mercifully short and few.

The characters are still very basic and one-note, and Brent is as annoying as ever, but since a lot of things are improved on in the movie, I honestly think it’s better here. It also helps that we don’t have an ungodly amount of characters to keep track of anymore.

There’s still some weird inconsistencies. For example, adult bears can now suddenly talk. They never could before. Why they do now is beyond me. King, the primary antagonist of A Howl-iday Adventure returns, but for some reason he has one wolf with him that (to my memory) never appeared in his pack before, despite this wolf (ingeniously named Hench) being supposedly the last wolf loyal to him. 
Honestly I don’t know why I’m bringing these up since the Alpha and Omega movies never seemed to care for consistency, but I did and I’m not backspacing this paragraph. Cheers.

I’m also thankful for this movie being much more grounded than the last one we got. Gone are the days of idiocies like Wolfburbia, bird dance numbers, dinosaurs alive through magic bullshit, etc. Obstacles like other wolf packs, bears and snowstorms are actual things actual wolves deal with in real life. I’m just grateful that whoever is behind this movie remembered that.

The music is very much the same as before. It was fine, enough said.

As angry as I got at some of the last few movies of this series, I really can’t get worked up over this one. It’s a decent sequel. Still worse than the original, obviously, but it has a more coherent plot, less padding, a more grounded conflict and better animation than a lot of the other sequels of this franchise.

I still wouldn’t say to check this out, even if you’re a fan of the original. But if you insist on giving any of these sequels a watch, I’d honestly say to just go with this one. It’s still a bad movie by all accounts, but I’d take this over the majority of shit I had to sit through for Movie Thoughts. Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to lament the fact that I won’t be going to Europa-park this year and also draw like twenty more skekTeks or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment