Saturday, October 9, 2021

Movie Thoughts: Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)

  • Released: 31 March 2021
  • Directed by: Adam Wingard
  • Running time: 1 h 53 min
  • Rating 3/5

Synopsis

The Kaiju Godzilla and Kong face off in a battle for who gets to be Earth's alpha.

My Thoughts

I'm going to be blatant here: Kaiju films just generally really aren't my thing. I've tried to get into earlier versions of Godzilla movies before, and while I do enjoy them mildly they're just really not my taste (similar to the Star Wars films). I think most of the reason why the Kaiju genre isn't my thing is that in the end it just comes down to large creatures either fighting humans or some other large creature. It doesn't really matter what plot you attach to it for me, I just don't really care about that premise overall. 

Enter Godzilla vs. Kong. I've seen King of Monsters upon my father's request (gotta figure out a Father's Day present for him somehow) and we did much the same for Godzilla vs. Kong. Did I like the movie? Yeah, it was decent.

I'll praise the visuals, they were good and albeit a bit too busy and flashy sometimes, I liked them. Honestly, while this movie is trying really hard to be this big epic spectacle showdown between Kong, Godzilla and Mechagodzilla, it's honestly the quiet and tender moments between Jia and Kong that are the best part of the film. They have a really sweet relationship and honestly I wished we got less of that. Probably a weird request for a Kaiju film, but I like what I like, and it was this.

I wouldn't recommend this (or any other Kaiju film) to anyone who doesn't care for the genre like me, but if you're into it or just curious, it definitely doesn't hurt to watch. It's decent, the acting's good, the plot is fine. Honestly, my biggest problem with the movie was the anti-Semitic lizard people conspiracy they referenced. I get that you want to have a crazy conspiracy nut character, but you can do this without referencing anti-Semitic shit, dude.





No comments:

Post a Comment