Sunday, March 20, 2022

Series Thoughts: Sweet Tooth (Season 1)

  • Released: 4 June 2021
  • Amount of seasons: 1
  • Seasons watched: 1
  • Rating: 4/5

Synopsis

In a post-apocalyptic world, a boy who is half human, half deer goes to look for his mother under the guidance of a hardened man.

My Thoughts

I'll keep this one short and sweet (pun intended, kinda?). Ever since getting into The Walking Dead, I've taken a liking to the post-apocalyptic genre. However, this show, which is from a child's perspective, was something new. 

The story of Sweet Tooth is definitely a mature one, but seeing everything through the eyes of a child is definitely something in the genre I haven't seen before, and it makes for a pleasant change. But not only is Gus a child, he's also a hybrid, a type of being that is consistently being hunted down in the show. Heck, Gus is even revealed to be the first one in the end. It's just very interesting because you want to know where the disease and hybrids came from. We got some hints in the Pubba and Birdie episode, but still not everything has been revealed. 

I really enjoyed the characters in this. My obvious favorites were Gus and "Big Man" Jepperd themselves, but I also really enjoyed Bear, Aimee and Dr. Singh. They all have a likability to them despite how brash some of them may be. I also really enjoyed seeing the bond between Gus and Jepperd develop, which is especially meaningful when people like the latter used to hunt down hybrids. 

The world definitely feels like a sad and broken one, but it still has some childlike wonder to it since we see it from Gus' point of view. Remember, Gus grew up in a small fenced area in Yellowstone, so everything in this world is new, both the good and the bad. 

This is just an overall really good show and I definitely hope it gets a second season. I'm really invested in these characters, the world and their journey and hope to see more of them. 






No comments:

Post a Comment